Lord Anglesey, born in 1922, lived in his ancestral home, Plas Newydd, on the Isle of Anglesey, which he handed over to the National Trust in 1976.
He was Vice- President of the Society of Army Historical Research, President of the Victorian Military Society and of the Crimean War Research Society.
Another of his interests was shown by his past chairmanship of the Historic Buildings Council for Wales. He was also President of the Ancient Monuments Society, a founder member of the Redundant Churches Fund and of the National Heritage Memorial Fund and a Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery.
He was a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, the Royal Historical Society, the Royal Society of Literature and an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects. He was also an Honorary Doctor of Literature of the University of Wales and was Lord Lieutenant of Gwynedd in the 1980s.
He passed away, aged 90, in July 2013.