Amarna City of Akhenaten and Nefertiti (Paperback)
Nefertiti as Pharaoh
Tell el-Amarna is the modern name for the ancient Egyptian city of Akhenaten, situated in a bay of hills formed by the cliffs of the eastern desert about halfway between Cairo and Luxor. The city was founded in the 14th century BC by the Pharaoh Akhenaten to be a royal palace for himself and his wife Nefertiti, the capital of all Egypt, and the center of the state cult of the Sun God in the form of Aten (sun disc), which became an obsession of the Pharaoh. The city contained temples, palaces, state buildings and great private mansions, but was abandoned by Akhenaten’s successor, his son Tutenkhamen. The city was demolished, never to be re-inhabited.
This volume presents a detailed, illustrated catalogue of the many statues, statuettes, reliefs, inlays and inscriptions recorded and collected by Flinders Petrie, together with glass and faience objects and moulds. Part II provides a summary of developments in royal names and titles with a discussion on research into names and evidence of royal status.
This series comprises facsimile re-issues of typological catalogues produced between 1898 and 1937 by W.M. Flinders Petrie, based on his vast collection of Egyptian artefacts which now reside in The Petrie Museum of Egyptian and Sudanese Archaeology, University College, London. Long out of print, the catalogues were re-issued in facsimile by publishers Aris & Phillips in the 1970s alongside newly-commissioned titles by contemporary experts. Petrie’s catalogues remain invaluable source material today. The Oxbow Classics in Egyptology series now makes a selection of these important resources available again in print for a new generation of students and scholars.