Facsimile reissue of Flinders Petrie’s 1907 account of excavations at Gizeh and at Dier Rifeh in Upper Egypt, just south of Asyut. At Gizeh excavations focused on a cemetery lying on a ridge about 1 km south of the Great Pyramid while work at Rifeh extended from a well-known Coptic village for about 5 km southwards to beyond the village of Zowyeh, and mostly investigated several cemeteries in the plain of mostly XIth–XVIIth Dynasty date. The area contained numerous Coptic settlements and the ruins of Coptic monasteries at Balyzeh and Ganadleh were excavated, producing many fragments of Coptic manuscripts. A chronologically ordered account of the tombs excavated begins with those at Gizeh followed by Zaraby and Zowheh and then Rifeh. Those at Rifeh produced around 150, previously rarely encountered, ‘soul houses’, being clay models of contemporary dwellings used as offering trays, which are discussed in detail. A classification of pottery is provided. Later burials were also excavated at the cemeteries close to Gizeh where three Demotic inscriptions and several cartonnages of papyri were recovered. The Demotic inscriptions and Coptic manuscripts are described with translations.