The Pocket Guide to Dice & Dice Games (ePub)
Dice have been played for centuries and are a staple of the playground, board games and casinos alike. This pocket guide contains their history and clear explanations to popular dice games, including farkle (played since the Middle Ages), Gluckhaus (a German game of fortune, played since Medieval Times), craps and Jacks, including tips on winning and how to avoid being tricked by loaded or ‘crooked’ dice. Famous dice players include Augustus and Caligula, the Roman Emperors – the latter lost all his money playing dice and quickly stole other people’s and carried on gaming. In Regency times, fortunes could be won and lost at the roll of a die and it was not only money which was gambled away but estates and even marriages. Full of fascinating facts and useful tips, this is a must-read book for everyone interesting in games, gambling and social history.
Did you know?
• Dice derives from the Latin, datum meaning ‘ought to be played’
• The black marks showing the numbers are called pits
• Dice were first played in India c. 3000 BC
• They were originally made from bones, including knuckle and ankle bones
• Traditionally cubed, they also come in other geometric shapes, incuding the zocchihedron, the 100-side dice and the deltoidal icositetrahedron where each side is shaped like a kite
…is full of little juicy items, as well as containing a broad history of a pursuit that has been played in various forms and all around the world down the centuries and – for some perhaps more usefully – offering tips on winning and how to avoid being tricked by cheats using loaded or crooked dice.Evergreen
Contains their history and clear explanations to popular dice games, including Farkle (played since the Middle ages), Gluckhaus (a German game of fortune, played since medieval times), and craps and jacks. It also includes tips on winning and how to avoid being tricked by loaded or ‘crooked’ dice.Antiques Diary
This is a must read book for everyone interested in games, gambling and social history.